Monday, July 2, 2007

"No Signing Allowed!"

I was watching a vlog by ASLMUSIC (http://aslmusic.blogspot.com), brought back memories of my growing up life at a deaf residential school which was definitely worth my experience. I would not turn back the clock except for my sophomore year where I started mainstreaming. I do not know if that's what it's called "mainstreaming" because I was the only deaf student in a hearing school. I wrote my comment in ASLMUSIC's vlog...which I have shortened and edited on my post here.

I wanted to share my experience...which I think you will enjoy reading. And do share some with me and others of your experiences.

When my school got a new supertindent, they changed policy and forbade us to use ASL in our everyday lives (while we were at school) which was impossible anyway...thank goodness!!!!

One time, my math teacher was writing on the blackboard, I was talking to a student next to me, signing, of course...teacher came over to me and said sternly, "NO signing allowed!" I was like, huh, I can't help it...something to that effect.

Teacher went back to blackboard, writing, again, I turned to the same student and resumed signing to her...teacher came over to me, with a ruler and slapped my hand hard (didn't see her coming), I was so shocked and without thinking, I stood up and grabbed the ruler off her hand and slapped her hand back, with the ruler! She, in turn, was in shock, face reddened and threw me out of her classroom, straight to principal's office. All the students were open-mouthed, in shock...and of course, I was angry.

But then later, I felt bad cuz the teacher was an elder, possibly around in her sixties. So while I waited in the principal's office as she wasn't there. When the Principal walked in and saw me sitting in a chair, she asked me why I was in her office. She groaned and rolled her eyes when I told her what had transpired in my math class. She sent me to another math class. I was allowed back in my first math class after a few weeks, behaved myself and dared not sign in front of her! What a memory and I chuckled every time I think about it. Wonder if that teacher laughed or still smitten? Oy vey!!

8 comments:

B.A.D. said...

Welcome to DeafRead :-)

WOW! I wonder if she laughed "nowadays"....I'm sure she didn't laugh back then. But I laughed what you did to the teacher. OOPS!!! :-)

I don't know why back then they put your HANDS down and not allow to sign. I guess because the teacher themselves were NOT good signers eh?

Keep on V/Blogging!! WELCOME!

Anonymous said...

Hey Girl!

Welcome to Vlog/blogland...

You actually hit a teacher's hand with a ruler... Oh my.. Your champie.... I am sure she was like oh man I regret to mess with this girl..

Thank you for sharing your story with us...

Aidan

LaRonda said...

Hi there! Finally you're up on DeafRead! Welcome!

Your post reminded me of something I remember back when I was in my hearing elem. school, before I became deaf. There was one boy in the class who was always in trouble. He was a real chatter box and wouldn't shut up. Very distracting to the nuns who were my teachers (Catholic school). Do you know what they did? They would pull him by his ears outside of the classroom and walk him to the principal (Mother Superior - the head nun).

So it's ironic that deaf get hands slapped by rulers and hearing get their ears pulled. Gee....

~ LaRonda

Deaf Woman said...

Hey LaRonda! Yeppie, I finally got posted, big smile! I laughed about what you said about ears being pulled because I had that experience of getting one of my ear pulled when I did something wrong...you do not want to fight back because it sure hurts like heck! Had to follow my residential supervisor and walking fast too!
True, how ironic it is that my hand got slapped and the hearing boy got his ear pulled. Oh boy! Thank God, no more physical punishment in the schools!

Deaf Woman said...

Hi Aidan...yep, I actually did that, unintentionally and with quick reflex, regrettably, but I sure did that. I guess I was already learning to fight back in those days...so there goes my reflex.
I'm always curious if she'd (the teacher) remember this incident. Will never know.

Hi BAD...the teachers in my school never signed...they talk and talk, we always had to lipread, all day long! They never learned ASL as it wasn't approved there. One teacher was actually deaf, she talked to us, never signed in school but on the outside, she signed. Imagine our shock when she signed to us!

Squ65 said...

You got a nerve to hit back! :-)

Anonymous said...

you know signing is a culture, u shoudnt ov let her make u scared what if it was her? its something were born with, im deaf myself, and im school when hearing people are tlking and we were signin we wud get in troubble for it, i always stood up to myself i would not let them bully me with someting that is a part of me, yeah u might of been scared not every1 is the same, buh if i was u i would of never let her sssstop me, i would of stood up to her and told her how i feel, she was in the wrong, even if no one else respected it i would still do it cuz like i said its something that is a part of you, but ha good for u from hittin her back with the ruler ha yeah i bet shes laughing now haha x

Anonymous said...

[url=http://www.mulberryinoutlet.co.uk]Mulberry Mitzy Bags[/url] Darlington.. [url=http://dkgoose.com]Canada Goose jakker[/url] Odhkvumhh [url=http://www.louboutinoutletuks.co.uk]louboutin uk[/url]
vykfvu 050435 [url=http://www.chilliwackbombersoutlet.com]goose identification[/url] 733073 [url=http://www.beatsbydreaonsales.com]cheap dre beats[/url]